Filipa Carneiro Workshop - Billets
Seminário de Vilar, Porto.
Give the perfect ending to your handknits
Prepare for the perfect finishing before casting on the first stitch!
I will show you how to think ahead and make your finishing tasks a lot easier. Prepare for seaming and choose the best border stitches + find the best ways and places to weave-in the ends + how-to pick-up stitches.
- introduction to finishing techniques: plan ahead where to change yarns, how to choose border stitches and where to leave long enough yarn tails for seaming
- seaming techniques: vertical seams on garter and stockinette stitches (mattress stitch), horizontal seams and 3 needle bind-off, combined seams (set-in sleeves)
- picking up stitches: learn about stitch/rows ratio, pick-up stitches along a vertical edge, pick-up stitches along a round neckline
- weave-in the ends: weaving in the ends on ribbing and garter stitch; weaving in with sharp needle for thicker (or slippery) yarns
Length: 3 Hours
WS level: Intermediate
Materials to bring: 2 pairs of knitting needles of 4 to 4,5 mm.
The yarn that you will work in the workshop will be gifted by one of the sponsors of the festival.
Homework: Students will be required to bring 6 knitted samples (the thickness of the yarn must be from 4 to 5 mm):
- 2 garter stitch sample with 12 x 12 cm
- 1 stockinette stitch sample with 12 x 12 cm
- 1 ribbing and stockinette stitches sample with 20 x 20 cm - work 5 cm height in 1x1 ribbing and then in stockinette stitch to 20 cm height
- 2 stockinette samples with 8 x 8 cm - without binding off stitches (slip stitches to waste yarn or spare needle)
Knit with Friends
2nd edition - 6 and 7 June
Porto - Portugal
Children are not admitted in the festival Workshops.
PROMOTER: Tricotar Amizades - Associação Cultural